I rely more and more on using essential oils around the home.
I’ve learned that we can safely harness the benefits of essential oils to support our health. I’m also using essential oils for cleaning around the home. This also supports our health! By replacing commercial household cleaners with essential oils, we have been reducing our exposure to potentially toxic chemical fumes, while still keeping our home clean.
In this post I’m focusing on Lavender essential oil uses in my home.
Lavender (lavandula angustifolia) is called by some the king of essential oils. I’ve come to agree!
First of all I ADORE the scent of true lavender. It’s a floral, crisp and clean scent. Depending on where it’s grown, it can be somewhat camphorous.
Lavender essential oil has so many uses and benefits – it is truly one of the most versatile essential oils.
Here are my favorite lavender essential oil uses:
- I include Lavender EO in blends I make to clean kitchen and bathroom surfaces. Lavender EO is known for its disinfectant properties. Here’s a simple combination.
- 4 oz water
- 1 tblsp plain white vinegar
- 6 drops Lavender EO
- 6 drops Tea Tree EO
- 6 drops Lemon EO
- 2 drops Peppermint EO
A simple blend like this in a spray bottle keeps my kitchen and bathroom surfaces clean and smelling wonderful.
PLUS I don’t have to worry about inhaling the scent of my homemade surface cleaner. I always feel refreshed and uplifted after I’m finished cleaning. Which is great because housecleaning is NOT how I prefer to spend my time!
By the way, you can buy empty bottles with sprayers in the travel/trial size section of your local WalMart or CVS or Walgreens.
- For burns or minor wounds, I use one or two drops of Lavender EO in a small amount of pure aloe vera gel. Lavender is a wonderful essential oil for skin. It has skin-nourishing and skin-regenerating properties. I also use Lavender EO with aloe vera gel, or in a little coconut oil, for itchy or flaky skin. The relief and improvement is almost immediate!
- The pain-relieving effect of Lavender EO is very helpful for my headaches and cramps. Lavender EO is one of the primary oils in a blend I made for an inhaler I use for pain-relief. I’ll write about inhaler blends in another post.
- From time to time I place one or two drops of Lavender beneath our pillows at night. Lavender is very relaxing and calming. I also made an inhaler with a blend of Lavender and other soothing essential oils. I find Lavender EO really helpful for unwinding and getting a good night’s sleep!
Do you know of any other Lavender essential oil uses? Are there other ways you use Lavender essential oil in your home? Leave a comment and let me know!
In my next post I’ll talk about my second-favorite essential oil for everyday home use: Tea Tree essential oil.
Do you want to start learning about essential oils? I promise that learning about essential oils will change your life.
My favorite resource for learning about essential oils, is Aromahead Institute. Aromahead Institute was founded by Andrea Butje, who is a recognized authority on essential oils.
There are online courses available at Aromahead Institute. However I recommend you try their FREE introductory online course. The course is called “Introduction to Essential Oils”.
I’m not affiliated with them in a business sense. I’m a student and a huge fan. Go ahead, check them out!